Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Ugghh...

Ice hadn't been acting quite normal around here for the past bit and I was thinking maybe she didn't want to be here anymore. Well, today I found out the reason why she'd been acting a titch odd. A couple weeks ago I brought a bag of clothes (from the boys and a bit from Brynne) to our guards family. I did it in the afternoon when it was practical for me to go over there and sit and have a chat with Ibu Mika (Meeka). On my way there I passed a few neighbourhood kids who said something like,"Mira (our guards daughter) is probably going to get that." I didn't think too much of it at the time, but now I know exactly what they were thinking. As it turns out, Ice's sister, mother and some of the neighbourhood kids had been nattering on to her about why she didn't get those clothes and why did Pak Nios' (our guard) family get them? Ice's sister has a daughter who is Mikah's age. However, Ice's sister works for another expat family. That is why I decided to give the clothes to a family that is obviously poor, has a need and works for us. I had no idea that my naive act of generosity would give rise to such problems. I guess they have been fairly consistently bugging Ice about this which naturally makes her feel rather unhappy. The problem if I start handing out the clothes to different people is that the same problem would arise. Why her/him and not me? That is why I decided to give it to a family that works for us and has boys that could use the clothing. And they have been. Maybe next time I'll have to give away things secretly....

*On a brighter note, there is cheese in the store again!!!! YIPPEE!!!!

No comments: