Tuesday, September 08, 2009

More "fun"...

Things have not slowed down much... I've been busy getting a person to come to test Ice and hubby for HIV. That was a bit of a kafaful. They first said they would come Monday morning and then no, it couldn't happen until Tuesday and then later someone else called and said could it happen in the afternoon that day (Monday)? I foolishly said,"Sure." Went to find Ice and she was gone! I asked some people where she was and they couldn't find her either. One of the guys had on a familiar looking pair of runners... Ones that you can't buy here... Ones that look rather identical to a pair stolen from my neighbour... I asked him where he got the shoes and he claimed that a friend had given them... right... Anyways, the people came and no Ice... So I made a new appointment for this morning. A woman came and again, I had to go get Ice, who was sound asleep while her hubby was hand washing the laundry... Anyways, the woman got their info and proceeded to attempt to draw blood. She tried both of them on both arms and couldn't draw any... She depressed and drew the syringes multiple times while they were inside the arms of Ice and hubby. Then, upon being unsuccessful at drawing blood, proceeded to rinse the syringes in tap water... Using the same water for both syringes... I called a nurse friend who came and had no trouble after using a tourniquet. Anyways, apparently this is a government sponsored program and you don't need to pay for anything. That's good news. Plus they both have to go to the hospital in Abe together to get the results and receive any necessary counselling. This is good information to have!
Tomorrow I have a meeting at the private Catholic hospital in Waena regarding setting up a hearing clinic there. I hope they are interested! At this moment there is no where to get ones hearing tested! I don't think there is anywhere on the entire island! But you can get a real fancy lazy-boy type chair that will give you a massage!
*BTW, Ice is not her full name and there are hundreds of women with the same name here...

No comments: