Saturday, November 11, 2006

We have water! Yes you read right, water… we’d almost forgotten what it was like to turn on the tap and have water flow out… On Thursday the head MAF guy from the Jakarta office came by and he and Pak Nadi decided that instead of waiting for the landlord to give his ok, (his sister is mysteriously ill right now and she holds the purse strings), they went and bought a new pump and installed it. Now we have water and a pump that works! I kept pinching myself to make sure this is real…. Then I enjoyed a fabulous hot shower for the first time in about a month. Wow, what deprivation does to make you appreciate things! We’re still being careful with water, that’s a hard one to break.
So much of life here revolves around the buying and selling of food. On Friday I spent an hour visiting with our neighbours beside the road just up from our house. They have a little cart up there where they sell gado-gado. Gado-gado is a dish made with tofu, potatoes, peanut sauce and some other stuff. So I hung out with them for a while and watched the people. The couple that I posted a picture of last month – Bobon, Marni, and Sri – have their little warung (tiny shop) around the corner from our neighbour’s cart. They spend their entire days at this shop. They have a mat on the floor for their little girl to take naps on with mom and a tv that’s about 5 inches across. This is normal life for the average poor family here. Kids here learn real fast to watch out for motorbikes and cars. They also learn to eat deep fried foods really early too. So they hang around all day and sell the odd cigarette or deep fried item. This is their life, they struggle from day to day to make enough money to live. But they always have time for a chat and a smile. I love having little visits with this young couple. Although it is sometimes difficult to talk with Bobon as he mixes Indonesian with Sundanese. They keep asking me if I want to learn Sundanese, but I tell them that I’m already forgetting my dutch as it is. Another language would be a bit much right now. As I sat there talking with them all on Friday a truck drove up full of plastic items for sale. There was a guy in the cab talking over a loud speaker. The speaker was so bad that it was like fuzz to me. Then another guy walked by selling inflatable children’s toys. Every now and then some motorbikes would go by. This is life here. A lot of hanging around, chatting and selling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi kids and grandkids, Congratulations what a relief to have water again. I was trying to imagen what it would be like with 5 kids and no water. I could not..... Anyway now you have water!Have you had a lot of rain already? How are Erica's mosquito bites? By the sounds of it a very relaxed slow pace of life out there.It would be difficult for us to live that way, not knowing from one day to the next if you make some money., I have seen it in South Africa ...We have so much to be thankful for. Lets give Him thanks from whom all blessings flow. Dad has gone to the coast. James is at a party. Julia is visiting a friend for the nite. I have Marsha all to myself. Have a great weekend. Love you all, may our heavenly Father keep you in His care. xoxoxo mom

Anonymous said...

Aunt Frieda here.Had a party here with my pets to celebrate the fact that you now have WATER!!!!!!!!!!!Bet that was great to have a hot shower---WHAT A TREAT!!!!!!!!!Yes,indeed,we take all these conveniences for granted but you blogs also make us think not to take things lightly and above all to thank our ALMIGHJTY GOD for ALL that we may enjoy out of mere grace only.Tomorrow we hope to celebrate Lord's Supper-always makes for a special Sunday.Sure sounds like a non-stress life there--chatting and visiting with people.I would not have tooooooooooo much of a problem doing that.Oh yes,I did not go to that Muslim party--an allnighter and roads were bad so I cancelled out.I'll hear all about it next week when I go there.Today was Remembrance Day here.Do they honour that sort of day in Indonesia?????Spent the day cleaning my own house for a change--it needed it.I clean everywhere else and my own place get behind which is not enjoyable to come home to.I first slept in 'til 12:00 noon---WOW!!!!!!!do not do that very often but guess I needed it.Well I pray youse may have a BLESSED SUNDAY and 'til your next blog to which I look forward to.Praying for you all always.Luv ME xoxoxoxoxoxoxand GOD BLESS!!!!

nicolevw said...

Wow .....water problems here, and water problems there ..just of a different sort! I'm glad to hear that you have water again ....if only we could ship you some of the water we're getting here ....and this week is calling for even more rain, so much so, that the Chilliwack River area is gearing up for another flood. Hopefully it'll settle down soon.
I absolutely LOVE that pic of Brynne that you posted a few days ago. She is beginning to look more and more like Aidan I think! Also great to hear that the kids are doing well .....take a pic of the 5 of them soon and post one!
Take care and enjoy life as each day goes by.
Nicole and Martin and kids