Sunday, November 11, 2007

As I'm writing this I can hear the sound of thunder. So I'm taking a chance leaving my phone line and ethernet cables connected to my computer. Here, these lines are not protected from surges and so anytime there is a thunderstorm you risk your motherboard or modem being fried. Yes, we still use a modem here. However, most of the time we access the internet through the V-Sat but if I want to blog I need to use our modem as MAF internet blocks all blogger sites. Anyways, I will surge on... heehee... and keep typing in spite of the thunder which sounds like it is moving away from us.
One dilema that I'm kind of struggling with is how to deal with the local kids that come around. They want to play with our bikes and any other outside toys we might have. I feel sorry for them because they don't get to play with much stuff at all. But... our neighbours have tried to let the local kids play. They would limit the numbers they would let in their yard. However, now the kids are there at their gate first thing in the morning yelling out asking if they can play. And they don't stop. So our neighbour will go out and tell them that today is not a good day so they won't be allowed. But the kids will often still hang around in the hopes that she will change her mind. Or they will go in anyways if the gate is unlocked. The other problem was that if she let them play and then their time was up, they wouldn't listen when she told them. They would just keep playing. Part of this is that Indonesian kids, at least the ones around here, just don't respect their elders. They are not taught to respect and the respect is generally not earned by the parents either. It is not that uncommon to see a mother throwing rocks at her older boys. Anyways, until this point, I have not let local kids play in our yard. I will let them drink water or fill their water bottles at our tap and I will also let them come in to sell things but not to play. Expats who have been here for a long time compare the local kids to ants. If you have the sugar they will just keep coming and coming and will wear you out. So for now, I prefer to keep my home a quiet, peaceful place for my family alone. And of course any visitors we might invite... On that note I would like to say that our door is always open to any one who wants to come visit out this way....
Selamat Hari Minggu!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan to me. While you feel sorry for them, I think they would drive you crazy after a while, and since it is your home, I'm sure you do want to keep it that way, and not constantly have other kids around.
Trish (Smink)

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to your frustration. When we lived in Ft.Babine, kids were constantly at my door step. Finally, I would put my foot down and let them know it wasn't a good time. They would say, "Okay.", but then they would sit on my porch steps for hours harrassing our dog. I would tell them to visit some other time and I would give a time and then they would say, "Okay" and walk down to the river in front of our home. Then 20 minutes later they would come and say, "Could I please use your bathroom?" or "Could I please have a drink of water?" We had to pay for water since we couldn't drink the water from the well or river. Then the whole bunch would follow and not leave for hours and hours and their parents wouldn't even look for them. So I had to wait til Wes came home with the truck and haul them all home.

I don't have a solution. I just know in native culture, they found me incredibly rude for setting boundaries. Another thing, my grocery bill was sky high because I was feeding a whole village full of kids.
If you find a solution, let me know so that I can pass that on to many other missionary friends who have that same problem. :)

Rose Bredenhof