Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Language...

Indonesians love our language, they truly do. However, it is a difficult language to learn. There are many tenses and many, many words and baffling grammatical rules.(I think I just broke one or two already) I always get a kick out of reading what they write on the packaging of products sold here in Indonesia. Sometimes the language is so inappropriate. I guess when you make something look like it was meant for export, it sells better!

Written on a carton of Country Choice Orange Juice:
At Country Choice land, people drink juice 3 times a day to keep the family healthy. The natural freshness of Country Choice Orange Juice lets us treasure more the loving memories and unforgettable experiences shared with family. Rich in vitamins A, C, and E, it provides antioxidants. Make Country Choice Orange Juice part of family’s daily routine.

Found on the packaging of a child’s xylophone (Brynnie’s Sinterklaas present):
-Real musical instrument!
-It has mallets and musical instrument included.Safe and durable.
-This musical instrument can enliven child’s musical cells, exercise the ability that the child discerns the form, the recognition capability of color, increase the child’s fun!

When I walk around town or around our house I often hear, "Hello Mister!" People love to try out their limited English on me. One woman told me that all the English she knew was: I love you! Kiss me please! Yes and No. I told her those were dangerous words to say...

As I post this, we are being “treated” to Christmas music from all sides… Many have been getting their booths up and their speakers going this week… yippee.... (sorry no photos yet...)

No comments: