Friday, November 21, 2008

Stuff....

The morning after my last post a little boy came to get water and left the tap running full. And I didn't notice until one hour later. So that was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. What if I hadn't been home??? We have removed the tap at the front of our house. Last night a woman came to get water and marched in without asking and went to get some except that she couldn't and then left without saying anything. I have to admit that that is another reason that I removed the tap. Some of the people here figure that this is their land and so they can take without asking. However, MAF actually owns this property and it is a private residence. I have told them many times that I would like them to ask permission first. So for now, there is no water available to the public here, only to those who work for us and our pastors family. It pains me to do this but I feel that if I don't do anything it means that I'm okay with being walked over, which I'm not.
We live about 1.5 kilometers from the airport, as the crow flies I figure. We can actually hear the binging of the announcement bell and then the announcements of when flights are going to occur. Although I can't really hear exactly what they are saying. They have turned up the volume incredibly loud!! This is just a loud place to live and we are headed into the noisiest time of year when guys start making Christmas booths and play loud obnoxious Christmas music. I know, how can Christmas music be obnoxious?? Well, lets just say they don't play Josh Groban type music... It's more karaoke style....
This morning we had the local drunk come to the door for money. His name is Sepi or Tomas. He is the product of a Dutch father and a Papuan mother and a raging alcoholic. He has come here before at 6:30 in the morning asking for money with betel nut juice dribbling down his chin and barely coherent. He frightens me. Then again this morning he came saying that his daughter was sick and he needed money for medicine. He had receipts... which means that the medicine is already paid for.... Hugo is very patient and explains that we don't give money to people but only to our church and our helpers. I didn't hear all that was said but there was some laughing (always a good sign) and then he left. He likes Hugo because Hugo is Orang Belanda (Dutch person) and therefore pasti baik (for sure a good person). Then later as I was on my way to the market and waiting to cross two lanes of traffic at the bottom of our hill there was Pak Sepi again. He approached me and touched my arm and raised his eyebrows and made a lewd motion with his hands.... YUCK!!!! Actually I had to confirm with my helper that it was a lewd motion and not a motion saying that he wanted to end my life.... the first time he came I told him to take a hike and he was not happy about that... Then at the market I had some nice chats with the sellers. They were all curious about why I was buying so much meat. I explained that I had five kids and a husband. Then they asked if all that meat was just for one day.... not many people here have freezers so that's probably why they asked. Then they were wondering where I was from and how long I had lived here and how come I could speak Bahasa so fluently (always nice to hear...). So I was feeling rather positive and happy and then I passed the fireworks vendors and one of them calls out to me, "Hey, I want to kiss you!!" Ugghhh....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Love to read your stories, hope to see you in a couple of weeks. Sent an email today PaMa

Irma said...

You must be lookin' pretty good! (-:

wow..you sure are exposed to quite the culture...what a learning experience. I enjoy reading about your family's life there...thanks for posting! Have a great week end.

Pearl said...

It was just full moon. (-:

Doulanic said...

Wow - the experiences are never ending, are they? :-)
Erica - could you email me your mailing address? thanks!