Monday, October 04, 2010

Bits and Bites from today...

I thought I would share with you some random experiences I had today... (listed in no particular order...)
*This morning as I was going down the hill I passed an old lady wearing a Metallica jacket... hmm...
*I tried to buy something at the grocery store today but I couldn’t because they didn’t have a price for it yet...
*The power was out for a few hours this morning...
*Today when I was teaching PE to the gr’s 1 and 2, one of the children pulled out a tooth and proudly displayed his bloody mouth to me.
*This morning I was awoken at 5:30, far too early, to the wondrous sound of a tropical down pour. It has been so dry here that water was becoming a problem for many.
*I served lunch to a visiting pilot from our MAF program in Kalimantan.
*We ate bacon for the first time in months. I made nasi goreng and krupuk for supper.
*There’s a dead cheechuk (house lizard) somewhere in our bedroom, we know this because we can smell it, but to date we have yet to find it...
*I gave a pregnant Papuan lady a ride home from the school. I asked her where she planned to deliver her baby. "At home," she replied. "Does someone help you?" I asked. "No, I do it myself," was her reply...
*Ice told me that on the weekend she'd brought a friends son to the hospital and a corrupt nurse there cheated them out of 50,000 rupiahs...($5-or, a day's wage here)
*It was so "cold" today (25C) that I wore jeans and a hoody...

2 comments:

karin said...

I love this little list format! 25 degrees and cold? :) You know I'm laughing.

AudreyU said...

awesome! - besides the nurse cheating people and the lady delivering her baby on her own ... yikes! So very interesting ... amazing to think we live on the same world even!