Thursday, October 07, 2010

Going to the market...

Went to the market this morning. I usually go before I’ve showered cause by the time I’m back, I’m soaked with sweat. Brynne and I went on my trusty Honda motorbike. We drive in-between two rows of garbage to get to the entrance. Someone once put up a sign there that said, “Don’t dump your garbage here!” Yeah, that was totally useless... Costs me 50 cents to get in. Brynne and I walk down to the meat section and on the way she gets her arm grabbed a couple times. People can’t resist her skin. She also got called a Barbie at least once. The meat section consists of a long row of tile-topped tables where people sell chicken and then about 3 more rows of people selling fish. We walk gingerly over to the guy I always buy chicken from and place our order. They guy beside him is “cleaning” his chicken innards with water which runs off the “table” into the gutter on the floor. Stay clear so you don’t get splashed. People are coming up and touching the chicken and asking what it costs. No hand sanitizer to be found here... Behind us are lots of guys selling tuna and other fish. Some are busy cutting up their fish, others are just busy yelling to get peoples attention. Sweat pours down my back as I stand waiting. Of course I’m wearing my helmet cause who wants to see my bedhead!? Our guy is cutting up our chicken on a big ‘ole tree stump for a cutting board and is done quickly and we are on our way. We buy a nice papaya and a couple pemelo’s on our way back to the front. Then we go into another part of the market where I buy some fresh tofu, it’s still warm. On the way out I buy a couple lovely cauliflowers for tonight’s supper. I plan to make sweet and sour meat/tofu balls with rice and cauliflower. On the way back to the motorbike, some guy starts talking to me, not in a friendly way, in a language I don’t understand. I looked at him at first to show respect but after realizing that something wasn’t right, I turn away and walk to my bike. Someone has put cardboard on my seat so that it doesn't get hot from the sun. He's not around so it's a freebee this time and Brynnie puts the cardboard on another motorbike. I balance the heavy bag between my knees on the ride home. After bagging up the chicken I take a much needed shower... I stink and my shirt is completely wet with sweat... And Brynnie eats a cornetto as her thank-you for enduring the market with me... :-)

1 comment:

Tamara Jansen said...

What a great post! Gives a real feel for that international outdoor market experience :)