Friday, July 28, 2006

Cultural Experience....

Today I enjoyed a cross-cultural experience. What to millions of dutch people is a very normal thing to do, is for millions of others a special experience. Today my lovely sister-in-law Mathilde took me to down town Groningen. We went by bike. Together we navigated the narrow streets of this ancient dutch city bumping over cobblestones as we went. Many buildings downtown were built before 1500. Coming from a country that was formed in 1867, this is very special to see indeed. We shopped and biked and had a nice dinner on the upper terrace of a very large multi-floored department store. We biked through a very old rose garden and over canals and beside ancient churches. Thankfully, due to the heat that Holland has been experiencing, it was not very busy in the city. I say this as it had been a very long time since I had ridden a bike. I wasn't sure I would be able to avoid hitting anyone if it was very busy. Never mind the incredible saddle sores I'm left with as a memory of our memorable evening out together.... Meanwhile our wonderful husbands stayed home with the kids and ate a traditional dutch meal of pannekoeken. (I think there were some videos involved as well...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Frieda responds; Bet that was NICE to ride a bike in the city.I did it for three years in Groningen wwhen I went to the Teacher's college in Groningen.The restaurant where youse ate I also ate there a few times with the other Canadians that went to the P.A."Albertus Zylstra" on the Hereweg not far from the train station.Did you see het peerd van oome Loeks too??Continue enjoying your stay in Holland.Yes,I always loved the province of Groningen.Hi to Hugo and the children.Are the children enjoying their stay and are they learning abit of Dutch too.