Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Pool Time!

Guess who spent the morning at the pool? I decided to skip school today and take the kids swimming. Even though we applied sunblock, they still got reddish... but they had a great time!
After supper I took the kids up to a little warung (shop) at the very top of our hill that sells ice cream. The four oldest all got some form of popsicle or ice cream and it cost $1 total! On the way up I met our 12 year old neighbour girl. She asked where we were going and I told her we were going to buy ice cream. At night? she asked surprised. She then went on to explain to me that Indonesians don't eat ice cream at night because they are afraid of getting sick.... huh?! I've also heard that the night air between 10:00pm and 4:00am is very bad for you....
At the pool today I talked with a guy who is rather wealthy, owns his own business and has a very large house... Anyways, he told me that he bought his three year old daughter a one piece bathing suit because he is afraid that she will get "masuk angin" if she wears one that is open at the back... I will never cease to be amazed at the strength of the conviction that if you do not cover up your torso, you will get sick, no matter how hot it is outside....

No comments: