Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bits and Bites....

Yesterday and the day before, scores of people, Papuans, came into our area to bring money or pigs to help pay the fine of 200 million rupiah. The official payment day had been Friday, but some pigs that had been promised couldn't come until Saturday so they graciously moved the payment up a day. So kind.... Thankfully everything went very peacefully, especially considering the amount of people that had gathered, and it seems they may have had a roast pig feast as well to seal the deal. Lots of the people that came are obviously not used to seeing Westerners so we were quite the side show for them... Gotta love that...
Speaking of side shows... I went shopping on Saturday at the big grocery store in the mall. It's about half the size of Superstore. Anyways, I loaded up my cart and went to the cashier. There was a small group of people behind me and some of them went past me so that they could see the cashiers screen as she scanned in items (yes, this particular store is rather modern in that it actually has scanners...) and when the total came up, the number was passed on to those not privileged to be able to view the screen... ugghh... I kind of know what celebrities go through now....
Speaking of the mall (I'm really doing well on the segues today...); I saw a booth selling buttons and badges so I went up to take a look as I'm always on the lookout for a Papua pin for my father-in-laws special retirement hat. Well, every single pin had either Bob Marley, a cannabis leaf, or the Jamaican flag on it... Apparently the Rastafarian movement isn't dead...
So (no possible segue here) there's still no margarine in town... Just wondering if Australia has a beef with Indonesia and there using margarine as a bargaining chip and Indonesia just hasn't caved yet...??? You folks in Australia still able to buy Meadowlea?

1 comment:

Henry + Dianne said...

yes erica, this is your cousin dylan m by the way we do sue meadowlea margarine here:):)