Sunday, September 24, 2006

More Info...


I've got a bit more info about Ramadan. Today we talked with the mother and daughter who live beside us. I forgot about them fasting and offered them some cake... Anyways, it was a good way for us to ask some questions about it. They start fasting at Ramadan at age 7. I think this is also the age they start disciplining children at. When fasting you may not eat, drink, or smoke anything between 4am and 6pm. (I feel bad for the pregnant daughter living next to us) At 2 am someone gets hold of the microphone at the mosque and wakes everyone up to let them know that it's time for their last meal before fasting again. (We slept through that whole thing this morning, apparently people were banging drums and everything...) Then after the 6pm call to prayer, people can eat again. I think they were counting down the minutes next door...

The completely unrelated photo on the left is of Mikah and her good friend Hannah who is from Finland...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Brynnie...ONE already!!! My where does the time go. Her grandpa was here for part of his birthday and he got a few new toys which we hope he enjoys using. The pictures are cute. How many days does this Ramadan last...just one day? I thought there were many days of celebration as well during Ramadan.
I this evening joined the Sudanese fellowship in the church. I was the only white person there but I did enjoy my time there even though I could not understand what they were saying for the most part. One of the men did do some of it in English for me so that I could get an idea of what they were singing and talking about. I think that I will do it again sometime soon.
It sounds like you guys are getting used to the sounds of the city which by the sounds of it are much different than here.I'm not sure that I could sleep through a loud speaker yelling away close to my bedroom window...but then on the other hand who knows...never had it.
So guys have yourselves a good and blessed week and may God always watch over you in all that you do.

LUV U ALL
Me M,M,A,J xoxoxoxoxoxoxox