Monday, September 11, 2006

Stuff...

I entitled this post stuff as I'm just going to recount a few interesting and funny things that happened today. This morning I went with Marc to Setia Buti to see about a mattress cover for our bed. We are just sleeping on a foam mattress that has cloth around it and then a fitted sheet on top. It gets pretty warm at night in our room as we sleep on the second floor... Anyways, on the way down we were in an Angkot and some guy just kept touching Marc's arm. Marc didn't like it one bit and kept asking me if we could get off. I tried to tell him that the man just liked his white skin, but that didn't help at all. When we were in the store Marc decided to run around a little bit and some of the ladies kind of chased him to play with him and he freaked out and came running back to me saying that they were trying to get him. Then this afternoon as I was bringing the kids home from school again on an angkot, a rather scary looking guy with a wandering eye had his hand on Aidan's knee the entire time we were riding. Aidan didn't say a thing but I sure kept my eye on that hand to make sure it stayed in one place... Then another male passenger told me that Aidan had the most beautiful eyes... Folks here are incredibly intrigued by us. I often see parents nudging their children when I walk by either by myself or with the kids.
As I was walking to the school this afternoon to pick up the kids I passed a regiment of the Indonesian army jogging their way up the hill. These guys were fully outfitted in camouflage clothing and helmets and rifles. Some of them weren't spring chickens anymore either, which probably explains the ambulance trailing behind them... I wondered what their reaction to me would be and I was surprised. Many of them smiled and said,"Hello Missus, how are you?" By the time they were all by my cheeks were sore from smiling. I just love it, you never know what you are going to meet up with when you go out here.


Hugo and Marc on THE bike...

No comments: