Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Week two of school...

Well we’re a few days into Ramadan now. Ramadan lasts for an entire month and ends with Idul Fitri which is Oct 24th-25th (I think). That’s when the people can stop fasting and they have big celebrations and eat lots of food. My helpers have been going home pretty tired after a regular day of work and no food or water. I can’t imagine… I’m trying to let them go home a bit early each day. Today my cook apologized as she didn’t know whether or not the food tasted good as she couldn’t test it while cooking. I feel bad for her that she makes this food and then can’t even eat herself. The other Ibu was hoping that she would lose the weight that she has gained since last Ramadan…
School is going well for us. It is quite exhausting I must say. This week we are separated into smaller groups and we go from classroom to classroom every 20 minutes or so to do different things. We do fluency drills (repeating the same lines over and over…) grammer lessons, vocab lessons and text drills. We start out the day in a bigger group and sing a song in Indonesian. Everyone here can sing so well and many play the guitar. By the time we go home my head is usually hurting. It is difficult to find the time and energy after lunch to go out and talk with people. Yesterday I went to Santosa International Hospital to talk with a pediatrician about Brynne. She has chicken pox so I couldn’t take her with. He was very nice and spoke pretty good English. The hospital is quite new and when we arrived by taxi there was someone whose job it is to open the car doors for patrons. I wondered if we were at a hotel and not a hospital. It is a beautiful modern building and most of the doctors are foreign trained. Anyways, he prescribed an ointment for Brynnies bum and it seems to be helping a lot.
Today one of our fellow MAF’ers has been hospitalized with Typhus. A reminder to us to be incredibly diligent with our hygiene and use of tap water. I still find it a bit hard to remember that the tap water has the potential to make us very sick. It is well water so it is probably not as bad as the city water, but I’d rather not use myself as a guinea pig… It doesn’t look bad at all, it is clear and smells fine. But we have to make sure that all dishes are completely dry before using them and we don’t rinse with tap water after brushing our teeth. We also don’t wash fruits and vegetables with tap water. They are first soaked in a pk solution and then rinsed with bottled water. Needless to say we go through bottled water like crazy… I’m just thankful it’s available and we don’t have to boil all drinking water…



This photo is of Marc "working" with the neighbour man and his grandson...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!!!!Yes,I know the people get tired during Rammadan because of lack of food and drink.The Sudanese Muslims where I clean daily make a jug of special juice--hard pieces of this red stuff--crumbled into jug then add water--let stand for 2/3hrs.Result--red juice--like an energy drink--tastes actually really good--a little sweet but I love the stuff and drink two big glasses full.She tells me it is healthy and good for me.Sounds like your classes are getting tougher and busier but don't woory eventually it willget easier as you become more and more familiar with the language.Are the children managing in school pretty good too??????Poor poor Brynnie with the chicken pox.I'm sure your helpers are good for her.Yes, i also know that when R. is over it is food city and feasting.I usually take part in it too 'cause I love their food---HOT & SPICEY!!!!!!Well ,best go to bed now.Remembering you in my prayers and luv you ALL.Your Aunt Frieda!!!!God Bless

Anonymous said...

Hi kids and grandkids. Good to read you're doing good. Hope Brynne feels better soon. Did the other kids have their chicken pox already? I used to put you guys in a baking soda bath but I quess with the water shortage that's totally out of the question. No rains yet?? You must be tired after a busy day in order to sleep through all the activities going on outside in the middle of the night. What's the temp. out there? we are enjoying a beautiful fall right now. Is Mikah's friend just as old as she is? How are Christiaan and Aidan doing? School still going good for them? God bless. love m&d