Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Last night my Mom’s Mom passed away in her sleep. She was in her mid-eighties and had had trouble breathing for a while already. We were all quite prepared that she could go to her Lord and Maker at any time. I feel happy for her that she doesn’t have to suffer anymore, just sad that I won’t see her or get a card from her any more in this life.
What I found interesting was when I told my pembantu that my Nenek (grandmother) had passed away (meninggal dunia) she said this little prayer in Arabic and then asked what time she had passed away. Then told me that she shared my sadness. When I told one of the teachers at school, her first question was, “Had your grandmother already received Jesus?” As most of our family and friends are believers and come from families of believers, that question is just a given usually. But here in this country where 88% of the people are Muslim, it is definitely not a given. In fact the parents of the teacher who asked me are Muslim although some of her siblings have converted. I spoke with another teacher today who told me that when her dad converted to Christianity, his name was scratched off the family list and he was banned from ever visiting them again. He was also not allowed to use the family last name anymore. To Muslims that are very fanatic, conversion to Christianity is punishable with death.

5 comments:

PSS said...

My condolences to you and your family. What a blessing we have to have the comfort of God and His promises.

Fried said...

Yes,my dear Erica,I will miss her cards also.She was sooooooo faithful in sending cards.I especially loved the cards she made herself--very professionally done always.Yes,for her it is a BLESSING that God took her home.It will still be a difficult day,Saturday,when the family and friends within the communion of saints will lay her body to rest.She is HOME!!!!!!!!! I was also glad to hear that your dad is going along.My condolences to you my dear Erica.Praying for your family always,Love Aunt Frieda

Anonymous said...

Erica,Hugo en kinderen
Gecondoleerd met het overlijden van oma. We hebben goede herinneringen aan haar, vooral de bezoeken die we haar brachten als we haar weer video beelden konden laten zien van haar canadese klein en achterkleinkinderen.
Pa&Ma / Opa&Oma

Mary said...

We send you condolences from our family to yours. May God uphold you all on His care. God is an awesome God who comforts us with His promises and is faithful to them always thru Christ our Lord. Praise God from whom all blessings flo.
Hope this finds you all well and in good health again.

nicolevw said...

My sympathies to you, Erica, and Hugo. May our God comfort you as you are away from this event!