Wednesday, August 15, 2007

1 Year Abroad!

Today is our one year anniversary of arriving in Indonesia! I can’t believe that it has already been one year!

Today Aidan learned to ride a two-wheeler! It really didn’t take much. I just ran beside him until I couldn’t do it anymore, a little out of shape am I, and then let go and off he went, until he ran into a toy truck... He was as proud as a peacock. Last year in Bandung the kids only had the opportunity to ride their bikes twice. It is such a blessing to be here now!

Today my old pembantu came by for a visit! So neat! She actually works for friends of ours, also from Canada. One day they put two and two together. However, I think Ibu Termina also had something else in mind. It is so hard to understand her, her native tongue is Dani, and she’s missing a few teeth and talks quite nasally, but I think she thinks she can work for both Janna and I. I just told her that I would have to talk to Ibu Cindy, the MAF wife that usually helps arrange helpers. It was neat to see her though and to be able to talk with her.

The funny thing about the hill where we are going to live is that mostly Dani people live there and there is a kind of helper Mafia up there. People who’ve in the past hired non-Dani helpers have been threatened. Unfortunately they are usually the slowest of workers. Most people prefer to have someone from Java or Ambon. I guess we’ll see what happens!

Hugo has been busy, busy, busy in the hangar already. There are lots of little repair jobs that have accumulated over time. So whenever an aircraft is in for mechanical servicing, in dives Hugo to do his avionics thing. I’ll try to take some photos tomorrow, if I remember...

3 comments:

Fried said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
So does your 3-year period start now or is the one year training included in the 3-year sign-up????? Just curious.
Also CONGRATULATIONS AIDEN!!!!!!!!Good for you boy--now you can go places.
All is well here.
Luv youse and continuing to pray for youse.Also from Charlie(my parrot)a big "HI"
Aunt Frieda

Mary said...

Good to hear that all is well and the kids are enjoying their space to run and bike around...Hugo busy as a beaver at work and probably loving it...Your bread looks sooooo goood!!!! It all sounds like life is going good and much different than in Bandung. I imagine the kids are adjusting quite well. Two more weeks and the kiddies are off to school again here...Amanda excited and Josh well at this point not caring too much about going back.
Take care and God bless

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Aiden for learning to bike!!! Now you'll have to keep track of where he goes. Nice that Hugo can do his thing again. And Erica too...by the looks of the baking. Sounds like you're really enjoying it in Sentani after a year away from here. We miss being able to go by your place in Aldergrove too. Miss you all and love you all.
dad