Sunday, September 09, 2007



These are photos of the old ZGK "compound" where my uncle Keith and Aunt Coby lived for a number of years back in the 1980's (I think). There is no one from the mission living there anymore, in fact it is up for sale.



These are some photos of our new house in progress. The middle photo is taken from the front door so you can see from the living room to the dining area. We can hardly wait to take up residence there!
Yesterday I went to the market on our motorbike for the first time. It was fun! I think I'm going to get a tatoo - "Biker Chick", I'm a convert!!
The kids are doing great. The three oldest are loving school. Mikah has a small class of 7 students, 3 girls and 4 boys. Christiaan has a bigger class of 15 and his teacher is from Northern Ireland. Unfortunately she will be going home in December as she is expecting her first child. So if anyone out there can teach grade two and is looking for an adventure, let us know! Aidan's class has about 10 students and is also very multicultural. There's Koreans, Dutch/Indonesian, Haitian, Canadian, American, etc... kids in his class. Aidan is going through an adjustment period again. But he is doing better. We are concerned that he may have a form of dyslexia so we are exploring that right now. Thankfully there is someone here who can help him and she is great. She also works with Christiaan on his speech. It is really great to have this service even though we are on the other side of the world living in a third world country! Marc started preschool and seems to enjoy it. It will be a learning experience for him too. Brynnie did not enjoy it at all when Marc was in school. She really missed him.... oh boy this is going to be a fun year.... Brynnie is still her busy funny self. She makes us laugh and cry all day long.
Hugo is still loving working here. There is so much for him to do which is great. This past week all the MAF pilots and mechanics on the island came here to Sentani for meetings. This happens periodically and they talk about stuff like safety and plans etc... So we got to spend a little bit of time with Justin Koens so that was neat.
I survived my first week sans pembantu. It was pretty crazy, also because I had to be gone a few mornings, but I survived!!! This week I will have my check-out ride in an MAF vehicle to make sure that I am okay driving here. Looking forward to that! More freedom!!
Hope you all have a good Sunday! Selamat Hari Minggu!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, Erica: we lived in the brown house in the background from March, 1984, till May or June 1989.
Must have been nice to see Justin... Are you going to see Corrinne and the new baby anytime soon? Corrinne lived with us in the brown house back then.
Is your new house on the same road?
Uncle Keith

Doulanic said...

Love that bike .....you biker chick! :-) I can't imagine driving a bike like that - or for that matter driving on the wrong side of the road! You go girl! I hope you find another pembantu soon, or at least manage well without one. My floor doesn't get washed frequently either! :-) Take care!