Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Feelin' Fresh...


I have often seen these cans of drinks in the store and wondered why anyone would by a canned drink with a Rhino on the front. So today when I saw them, as I was buying guava juice for Hugo, I decided to buy a can and see what it was. Well, you remember a few posts ago I explained the translation regarding throwing big water? This drink, which comes in a plethora of flavours, is supposed to, and I quote, "The preparation is a traditional medicine which gives a cooling effect in body heatness, flu, gingivitis, sore throat, constipation. (Sounds a bit like a wonder drug doesn't it?)

Recommended Consumption:

For treatment purposes: Adults consume 1/2 - 1 can three times daily

Children consume 1/4 - 1/2 can three times daily

For precaution purposes: Adults consume 1 can daily

Children consume 1/2 can daily

On the front of the can you see the words Larutan Penyegar (in my dictionary, which isn't the best, Larutan means dissolved and penyegar means something that freshens.) Kaki (Leg) Tiga (three) - don't know what in the world that's supposed to mean! On the side of the can it says "Jamu" with a circle around it. Jamu is the Indonesian word for medicinal herbs... I thought it was also the word for mushrooms or mould... but again, my dictionary sucks...

Not sure what I'll do with the can now. Maybe I'll offer it to one of my helpers and see what she says...

Today I took Ritha to the dentist. She had gone to a cheap government subsidized dentist and had wanted to get the cavities between her front teeth, which were very visible, fixed. So they "fixed" them. I had no idea she was going to do this and when I asked her why she didn't talk to me first, she said,"Well, it isn't your problem, it is mine." So I very much appreciate that she didn't come to me with her hand out and expect me to take care of it. It turns out she has gingivitis and periodontitis. So today they cleaned her teeth and showed her how to properly brush them. She was faithfully brushing her teeth about 5 times a day, but not brushing properly. So now she is on antibiotics to get rid of the infection. She told me that this morning before coming to my house she ate some amoxicilan because that's what the local dentists tell you to do before getting a tooth pulled. I explained to her that antiobiotics need to be taken usually three times a day for at least a week not just one pill one time! I explained that doing that was a dangerous thing. But this is so normal here. Often when doctors or dentists prescribe antibiotics, they only prescribe for three days. Not nearly long enough! I think they do this because of the cost. I purchased 30 amoxicilan caplets for Ritha for $2.25 today, but for the average person, that is equivalent to a half or 2/3 days work. This is why I buy them for her. So in a few weeks, the fillings begin....

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You mean you're not going to drink it?? No sense of adventure...