Saturday, March 22, 2008

I am not only Mom in our household, I am also the official tooth extractor. I remember when I was a wee lass of six years old, my mother unsuccessfully attempted to extract my first loose tooth. My screams brought the neighbours to the door who rather rudely requested that we keep the noise level down... Let's just say that we only lived in that house, a town house, for a very short period of time mostly due to those very neighbours... Anyways, after my mother's unsuccessful attempts, I was sent upstairs to see my father who said, as he would many times in the future, "I'm just going to feel it..." And before I knew it, there was the offensive incisor in his hand.

Aidan was not nearly so gullible. I had already felt his tooth many times and sometimes not so gently. So, in the end I had to hold him up against the wall and then just push his tooth out. His earsplitting cries quickly turned to joyful ones as he grinned at himself in the mirror. And when told that he looked just like a hockey player, his chest puffed out just a little more... The 10,000 rupiahs that the tooth fairy so generously donated helped even more...

I teach preschool at our house every other Wednesday. A few times a woman with a baby has been my helper. Brynnie has observed her as she nurses with great interest. After that, I have seen her "nurse" her plastic doll a few times but the other day I caught her "nursing" this rather large furry beast....

I went to see Rita today. It seems she also has dengue fever. She told me that none of her neighbours has ever had it. So she really didn't know anything about it or what to do if you have it. Thankfully, I'm newly informed and so could tell her what she needs to do. She has also received a malaria treatment just in case the slide that was done was read wrong. Poor girl, she's afraid to sleep because when she fell unconcsious, it was after she had fallen asleep. She felt like she had a bit of a fever and was kind of tired so she wrapped herself in a blanket and fell asleep. This was around 1:30. She continued to sleep until around 6:00 when she started babbling incoherently and then her sister called our neighbour John. By the time he got there she was unconscious. So when she woke up she was very surprised to be in the hospital and very embarassed as well. Please remember her also in your prayers. It is a tough virus to deal with as there are so many unpleasant symptoms.

Hugo is much the same today. Lots of laying on the couch. He is able to put the little ones to bed which is of great assistance to me!

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oh we are soooo proud of Aiden!!! That first one is a toughie but once they realize what it is all about they don't mind so much anymore. The $ from the tooth fairy helps...they don't mind getting that. Brynnie...what a hoot!!
Good to hear that Hugo is up and around a bit at a time. You all had us quite worried there and you will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers that it may be well with you all. We will remember Rita as well...that her health also may be restored and that she too may continue on with her task in life. She has had it pretty rough too the last little while by the sounds of things.

Doulanic said...

That's adorable of Brynne!!!

Give our love to Hugo - he's being prayed for over here by many!

TBH said...

That's funny, Erica, I think I remember that house... was it in London, the place where you only stayed for a little while? Or were your teeth already out by the time you came to live here?

Erica Feunekes said...

No Thea, we only lived in one house in London and we loved it. The house I was talking about was the first one we lived in in Hamilton when my Dad started studying at the College.