Saturday, August 16, 2008

Bits and Bites...













So this past week I went to visit our pastors wife and give her a gift for their new little daughter. Marc and Brynne were quite intrigued by the baby as well. I managed to have a bit of a conversation with Mom (I don't even know her name!!) in the "entrance" area of their house. Anyways, I asked if the baby had a name yet. Well, they've named the baby Efrata Reformasi. Yup, you didn't read wrong, they've named their baby after our church which is the Gereja Efrata Reformasi. Hmmm... Then on Friday one of our pastors older daughters came over to talk about her future. She was accepted into a "university" (It's really more like high school level here) into the political science faculty but she didn't have the money to pay the entrance fee so she probably won't get to go now. I had some ideas for her along the lines of working for a year and opening a bank account and saving money so that next year she can pay herself. And also try to get into this really great school in Pyramid where you learn English and leadership skills among other things. I told her I'd help her out with all that so we'll see what she does. Anyways, she told us lots of things about her family and that when her mom died she was three and went to live in a dorm until she was 15... That sort of stuff. She actually moved back in with her dad and step-mom (who is a close relative of her biological mom) when she was 17. I can't imagine what that must have been like! Anyways, her younger half-sister who is about 9 or so is named Eklesia Reformasi! Yikes what a name to give a little girl!! But they actually call her Effie. So that's no so bad.

The last photo is of a guy carrying what is called a noken, full of vegetables. We see people walking like that all the time but I'm not too keen on asking them if I can take their photo. I don't really like it when strangers from other countries take my photo...:-) Plus sometimes they are smart and ask for money. Anyways, I got this shot rather surreptitiously so he didn't even know I had taken it.

Yesterday marked two years to the day that we stepped off the British Airways jet in Jakarta, clutching our clear plastic bags containing no liquids, tired beyond belief and so hungry that the McDonalds in the airport was looking mighty tasty. I can't believe it has been two years already! It's been two years of major learning and lots of fun! (Yes, there are times we really miss our family and friends... I just watched a video that my aunt Ineke from Holland sent us about my parents 35th anniversary and my Mom's 60th b-day party celebration... made me want to see everyone again... and then come back here again...)

No comments: