Sunday, October 01, 2006

2 Weeks down...

It’s been a few days since my last blog. That’s a symptom of getting used to living in Bandung. What was once strange and unusual is now just a part of everyday life.
On Saturday I made my way to Borma. There I purchased a stellar piece of audio equipment-a cassette player. Yes, even though much of modern electronic equipment is manufactured in Asia, they are still wild about cassettes here. You can buy CD’s here. They are, from what I’ve seen, a little cheaper than in Canada. But cassettes are super cheap. I think the problem is that CD players are too expensive for the average Indonesian to buy. I also purchased the latest Josh Groban and Enya albums on cassette. They were $3 each.
Today I went to church with the three oldest. Brynne still has chicken pox and Marc was complaining of a sore stomach. This church is really great. They are really making an effort to include us in everything they do. And there’s always someone willing to pick us up and drive us home so we don’t need to go through the hassle of finding an angkot. Today we heard a sermon about the virgin birth and how Jesus was both 100% man and 100% God. The sermons that we have heard so far in this church have been very good. We are very thankful to have been so quickly accepted into a church like this.
Later in the afternoon Mikah and I walked along the narrow road above our gong. This road winds its way up the hill. It is incredibly steep. Along with way I made a few photos. When we were at the top we had quite a view of smoggy Bandung. The pollution here is actually quite bad. You often see people wearing masks while riding their motorbikes.


This is a photo of Marni and Bobon and their little girl Sri. Marni and Bobon have been married for 3 years. They live in our kampung and have a little warung (store) at the top of our gong. They sell some snacks and their specialty is a kind of porridge-like dish called bubur. (never tried it and don't plan to...) I talk with them almost everyday. They love to help me practice my Indonesian.

No comments: