Monday, October 02, 2006

Well, day one of our third week of language school down. I don't think I mentioned before that IMLAC, the language school we attend, is christian. Every day we open and close in prayer. We the students repeat after the teachers and so we are learning to pray in Indonesian. Very neat.
Today Hugo, Marc and I went by motorbike to a basket weaver guy who also makes furniture. We had bought a cupboard from an MAF family leaving for the field. This cupboard has a door on one side and three open cubbies on the other, perfect for baskets. So we checked out his stuff, having heard that he makes the best baskets. I decided on three that would fit and that I liked. I asked him the price, he said $40,000 each. I asked if it was okay if I menawar (barter). He said "Bisa." Which means yes you can. I offered $20,000. In the end I paid $30,000 each. Not bad if you consider that $7,800 Rups is $1 CAD. Then we had to figure out how to get them home on the motorbike. Well, the store owner tied the three baskets together and I put them behind me on the bike. They were resting on the little handle at the back of the bike. So that's how we went home. Marc in front of Hugo, me behind Hugo hanging on for dear life to these baskets. (Thankfully, they're as light as a feather...) Very Indonesian of us eh?



Some boys Mikah and I saw yesterday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to take a movie of you three on that little motorbike.What a hoot!!!!!!!!I can see it in front of me now---yes,indeed VERY Indonesian.Guess one has to be creative to think of all those things--how to get stuff home.Must have been a hilarious site--you hanging on for dear life and hanging on to the baskets too yet.Do they look nice in the cupboard after all that???????Have a great week and looking forward to your next piece---good for a laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!Luv you ALL lots and lots.Praying for you everyday.Aunt Frieda here from Neerlandia AB