Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I have to confess that we had white rice, mixed vegetables and chicken sate for supper. Yesterday afternoon I went to the doctor again with Brynnie for a follow-up visit. This time I went to his practice which is much closer to where we live. I tried to be there a bit before he opened so I would be close to the front of the line. No such thing as making appointments here. It’s on a first come first served basis. I was number A9. This office was significantly nicer and newer than the other one. I sat on a plastic covered couch while waiting and chatted with a couple of ladies also waiting. This gave me a great opportunity to get in my experience for the day. Each morning we have to recall one of our conversations of the day before with the class. I also got asked if I wanted to have molds made of Brynnies feet and hands to be bronzed. On the wall they had samples hanging. One of the samples was of a little boy’s baby bottom and the front parts as well… Whatever strikes your fancy… Anyways, after waiting about 50 minutes, my number was called. The doctor checked Brynnie out and told me that I could stop the antibiotics (I read the bottle and I was only supposed to give it to her for three days…). Of course most Indonesians would want to continue until the bottle was empty… Anyways, he said that things were looking pretty good. Then this morning Brynnie woke up with a swollen eye lid. Then after her nap she had a rash all over again and a swollen forehead. She looks rather klingon like (for those of you who have seen Star Trek…). Not real pretty as she still has quite a few red spots on her face. It seems that she may have inherited Hugo’s slight allergy to mosquito bites. Mikah also had it when she was young. Wherever she was bitten, that body part would swell up. Thankfully I did bring 4 bottles of Benadryl with… At this rate though we’ll run out in no time.
School continues to go pretty well for Hugo and I. We have now only three days left of unit 1. Then next week we will have an evaluation supposedly to determine whether or not we can go to unit 2. We have been told by others that this is a mere formality, they already know by week 2 whether or not you will need to repeat. We have learned so much already. It’s great to be able to have conversations with our neighbours and helpers about a variety of subjects. We will sure be ready for our little break next week though. Unfortunately the break is a little shorter because the following week there are three days of no school due to Idul Fitri. So our break is split in two this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey erica, its james here. mom told me to go on and check if there was anything new, but apparently not. i thought id just say a quick hello. say hi to Micah Christian Aidan Marky and Brynne for me. (i hope i spelt their names right) anyhoo, hi from Mom and Dad and Julia and John and me!