Monday, April 21, 2008

English?

While in Singapore we often used a cab to get around. You can use public transportation but I was rather nervous about going that route as it was my first time in Singapore. I think every single one of our drivers was Chinese by descent. They may not have been born in China or even ever been to China but their mother tongue was Mandarin or another Chinese dialect that I forget the name of... Anyways, one of the drivers of Chinese origin said that he liked to hear my English,"It's very clear," he said. Now that I'm home I realize why he said that. During my time in Singapore, which uses the English language as its working language, I did not meet one single native North American English speaking person outside of the guest house where we stayed! I spoke English with people of the following origins: Chinese, Indian, Sri Lankan, Nigerian, German, Philipines, Indonesian, Dutch, Australian, British and Kenyan.... No wonder he thought my English was so clear!!
Singaporeans have actually taken the English language and made their own version of it. They also use a lot of Malay/Indonesian words. They also like to add "lah" to the end of the last word in a sentence. Like "Ees no problemlah!" They call this "language" Singlish.

No comments: