Monday, June 30, 2008

Bits and Bites...

*Recently our Reformed Churches out here had a synod. The MAF float plane from Merauke (city in the south of Papua) picked up the delegates from all around that area. It took him about a day to pick up everyone. Had the plane not been available, it would have been very difficult for the pastors to make it to the meeting place. They would have to take boats and walk which would take forever. These meetings are so important as the villages are rather isolated from eachother that without them the pastors would have very little meaningful contact with each other.

*Good news, we have a phone again! We’ll never take that for granted again!

*Each day we have people coming to get water from our outside tap at the front of our house. I get a kick out of the kids as inevitably they check themselves out in the side mirror of the car. They check their teeth and then their hair or pull funny faces… so cute!

*The other day I went grocery shopping and I couldn’t find sugar anywhere. So finally at the one store I asked the woman who owns the place if they had any sugar. She whispers to me,” I have some but I’m not allowed to sell it. I can be arrested if I do. How much do you want?” I asked for 3 kilos and she had one of her workers put it in a black grocery bag and warned me not to say anything to Indonesians but I was free to tell all my friends about it. What’s up with that?? Who knows…Thankfully now there is sugar readily available in the stores again. But there is not an onion or margarine to be found anywhere… sigh…

*This past weekend we were helping a new Dutch family, the VanDijk’s, get settled in here in Sentani. We got to know them during our last few weeks in Bandung. Our kids are similar ages which is so much fun. We are their go-to couple here which means we have to show them the ropes like how to order ground beef, shopping at the market, which grocery stores to shop at, how to drive here, etc… It’s fun to look at everything through a new person's eyes and you realize how “normal” it has all become!

No comments: