Thursday, June 26, 2008

Road Work

So we’ve finally found out why our phone isn’t working. It seems our phone line was cut by the guys digging the ditches alongside our road. So there are others without phone on our road.

This morning as I was about to leave to do some shopping for a new family that is arriving tomorrow, a bunch of guys came in a dump truck. An MAF worker was with them. They were picking up a stack of metal trusses that had been sitting in our backyard. These were the trusses from the old church that used to be on this property. Anyways, these guys decided to use our kids swinging rope to tie down the trusses on the truck… without asking of course. I didn’t see them leave as I was already gone. But when we returned and the boys went outside to get their hammers that they had been playing with before… they were gone. At first I thought maybe a local kid had grabbed them but that isn’t realistic. Local kids don’t go in our back yard except in the evening when there’s a soccer game across the road and the kids are playing with balls themselves and there’s always one that goes in our yard and they need to get it. But they almost always ask permission to go get the ball. Anyways, Christiaan mentioned that he had left his hammer up in the tree fort and then I realized what had happened. Those guys had to go up the tree fort to get the rope! So this evening I smsed the head of MAF construction and told him that these guys had taken the rope and that we had two missing hammers. He immediately said that he would replace the hammers. I replied that I just really wanted there to be someone from MAF watching any non-MAF people who are in our yard. He called me and said that he had talked with the MAF guy, Harry, who had come with those other guys this morning and Harry told him that he had seen those guys put the hammers in their truck. So now I’m thinking, well, why didn’t he say anything??? Anyways, tomorrow Berry, MAF head of construction, is going to go to those guys and try to get our hammers back. I’m not sure what we should expect from all this. I feel bad making Berry replace the hammers. But I also feel that if they don’t get replaced it sends a bit of a wrong message like it’s okay to take stuff from the Feunekes’ because they won’t do anything about it…

I guess I’m getting a little sick of people always working in our back yard. A while back there were a few guys working, not MAF guys, painting the water tower. They painted for an hour or so and then they decided to wash their motorbikes in our backyard with our hose, and then wash themselves… and then they borrowed our ladder without asking and got paint all over it and then they left their paint brushed in turpentine laying on our back stoop right where Brynnie could get into them and she did and then they left empty paint cans lying around… And it seems like every morning there’s a vehicle at the gate and I have to go to the door in my pajamas and give someone the key so they can get in… Its HOLIDAYS!!! I don’t want to get up early!!!! (Except to play hockey…) Okay, I guess I’ve complained enough… It wasn’t really bothering me much before but the whole hammer thing was the straw that broke the camels back…
This is the current state of our road right now. You can see the little “cliff”. To the left is someone’s front yard. Those barrels are being used to heat up tar. It’ll sure be nice once their done! It’s amazing, most of the work is being done by hand! The only machine they have is a big roller thing to flatten the road.

1 comment:

Doulanic said...

I sense your frustration!! Yikes - I hope everything works out okay!