Tuesday, March 31, 2009



As of late the local stores have been out of a few key items that we Westerners like to use in our cooking. Mayonnaise, cheese, parmesan cheese, sliced ham and bacon, and brown sugar are a few of the items not to be found. White sugar is also apparently no longer legal and so the stores are selling a more brownish coloured version. I've also noticed that margarine seems to be running out. The main shop where we purchase this key item had only one rather damaged tub sitting forlornly in the cooler. This lack has prompted me to add even more items to my "I make this from scratch" list. Yesterday I made mayonnaise, yogurt and granola while the laundry hung out to dry. I felt as though I should go out and kill and pluck a chicken as well....
However, my life is rather easy compared to that of the family that owns the freezer being transported on top of the canoe in the photo above. They are still getting moved into their new house interior and the only way for them to get food (they can grow a few things in their garden) is by plane or helicopter. And the only plane that can get to them is our float plane. Our float plane pilot brought their freezer in the other day along with some guys who helped the family set up their solar power system. Unfortunately their batteries had not done well while in storage so the freezer is for now a piece of decoration. They have no fridge... I feel her pain...

4 comments:

Kacie said...

Wow - 15 years when we were there my mom used to regularly make yogurt and granola, but never mayo. I also remember her buying two huge long things of cheddar cheese when a shipment came in to Green Door (maybe the real name was Multi Jaya?), and she'd put them in the freezer because we wouldn't see any again for months.

Erica Feunekes said...

Hi Kacie. I've heard about that Green Door place but I don't think it is Multi. Multi no longer exists. It became the Hypermarket and is in the basement of the new mall. We buy cheese at either Victory or Aneka Mas (formerly known as Sinar Aneka before the suspicious fire a few years ago...) and yes, the cheese comes in 2 kilo hunks. Usually the supply is pretty constant but occasionally, maybe because of wavy season, the supply chain is disrupted...

Jack Moesker said...

Hi Hugo and Erica:
Love that freezer on the canoe! Mom wouldn't mind another freezer....By the way, Erica, have you been receiving mom's e-mails of late? She's wondering....Love you all and think of you every day! dad

Tamara Jansen said...

A freezer perched on a canoe.....what a sight!