Thursday, April 30, 2009

Never a Dull Moment...

Yesterday had its excitement. At around 3:00 pm in the afternoon I heard what I thought were fire crackers and I wondered why people were lighting off fire crackers in the afternoon. Duh.... Here's what happened... well at least what I understand to have happened... A soldier had died and the other soldiers wanted his body to be sent to Nabire to be buried there. I guess that must be where he's from. The c*ommandant of the local military base disagreed at first. Then he said ok, but he wouldn't give the money for the body to be flown. So a bunch of guys from another military base farther down the road towards the beach, came to the military base here in town and wrecked the gu*n storage building (presumably also obtaining gu*ns in the process) and they also burned down the C*mmandants house. So that was shooting that I heard, not fire crackers.... The mall, as it is very close to the military base, was shut down and the main road there was also shut down for the evening. Today all is quiet and I heard that the issue has been resolved and everything is open as normal. Although I did see quite a few more police on the road than normal this morning....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the dead soldier?
uk

Tamara Jansen said...

Wow! Wasn't it better when you thought it was just fire crackers :)