Sunday, July 08, 2007

Thanks for the advice from those who commented on my last post.
The original loan was for 200,000 rupiahs. So the idea was to pay back in three installments, 50,000 75,000 and 75,000. So they still owe 150,000. I can't lengthen the loan period as we will be leaving here Aug 3. So I will wait and see what they do. They have paid me back any other monies I have ever loaned to them, although the previous amounts were never quite as high as this one.
It still amazes me how little money these people live on. You hear people talk about the poverty line in many Thirld World countries being living below $1 US a day. I bet that each person in that house eats close to or less than $1 a day in food. When I think about what I spend on a meal for us all, wow, there's just no comparison. If we didn't ever eat bread, cheese, real meat, fruit, drink milk or pop or juice, we'd be there. For them it is a big deal to buy a package of Indomi for everyone. Indomie is the Indonesian version of Mr. Noodles (only yummier) and costs anywhere from 800 rups to 1,000 rups a package. So that's between 10 and 14 cents each! They eat tofu, tempe (also a soy product), eggs or occasionally fish for protein. Of course, they eat rice at pretty much every meal.
I still can't bring myself to eat nasi goreng for breakfast... :-) But I'll have sausage, bacon, eggs and hashbrowns....

4 comments:

Chandra said...

So, if my math is correct, the original loan was for "only" $28??? Wow, what a different world you are living in!!!

I would suggest that you leave the plan as it was, with them understanding that they will be required to repay the loan in full by the time you leave. If by that point they have shown a real effort to do so, you can be gracious and either forgive the remaining amount or return the final payment they give you as a gesture of friendship to them (a parting gift, shall we say?) Just my 2 cents (or 160 rups) worth! :o)

Fried said...

Chandra gives a good piece of advice and I could go along with that
Luv youse
Frieda

Anonymous said...

Hi kids & kiddies!
We're back from our Sunday in Cloverdale! Like family there. I like Chandra's advice. Peter's fortunate with a wise woman like that. And yes, we can't imagine the hand-to-mouth existence...but it was like that when we immigrated to Canada too. But what a country of opportunity here. We need to give thanks every day. Give the kiddies a hug from us, K? Next week Otter Lake...........
Love pop

Chandra said...

Why, thanks Pop! :o)